We have created the ultimate list of Uses of Epsom Salt for health, well-being and home. You will be amazed by the many applications and uses of Epsom salt in your daily life!
My grandmother was a big fan of Epsom salt, she used it for everything! People of his generation knew about the many health benefits of Epsom salt and I recently discovered that the uses of Epsom salt go far beyond relaxing baths!
Read on for 25 incredible uses of Epsom salt – you might be surprised by more than a few of these smart tips!
25 uses of Epsom salt!
1. Uses of Epsom salt in the garden – Studies show that the magnesium and sulfur that make up Epsom salt can help your plants get greener, produce higher yields and have more flowers! The use of Epsom salt for plants is one of my favorite uses of this powerful ingredient.
2. Dip the feet in Epsom salt – Mix 1/2 cup of Epsom salt and warm soapy water, then soak your feet for 5 minutes to soften the skin. Remove the nail polish, push back the cuticles, then cut and file your nails. Soak an additional 5 minutes in a warm bath with Epsom salt for super soft feet.
3. Epsom salt for hair – Combine the conditioner in equal parts and the Epsom salt. Work the mixture in your hair and leave on for 20 minutes. The result? Hair full of va-va-voom and volume!
4. Epsom salt for hemorrhoids – Epsom's warm salt baths can help soothe the irritation of hemorrhoids. You can use a sitz bath, which is a small plastic tub that fits over a toilet seat. Take a warm bath for 20 minutes after each bowel movement for maximum results.
5. Relax – Create the perfect detox bath salts! Add two cups of Epsom salt to your very hot bath water and soak for 15 minutes. You can buy Epsom salt with lavender or eucalyptus for an extra-soothing bath experience. Be careful when you get up, you will find that you are VERY relaxed after your Epsom salt bath.
6. Texturizing hair spray with sea salt – Mix 1 cup of hot water, 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt, 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel and 1/2 teaspoon of conditioner in a spray bottle. Spray the salt mixture into the hair and rub the hair with your hand for pretty waves.
7. Softening crystals – Mix 4 cups of Epsom salt and 20 drops of essential oil to make DIY fabric softener crystals. Use 1/4 cup per load and add at the start of the wash. What a clever way to use Epsom salt, and also a way to save money!
8. Removing the shine – Soak your finger in an Epsom salt bath for easy splint removal. It is one of the best uses of Epsom salt for parents.
9. Body scrub with Epsom salt – After showering, massage handfuls of Epsom salt on damp skin to exfoliate the body. Get a spa treatment at home! Although Epsom salt really works, making a great homemade sugar scrub is also a great idea!
10. Exfoliation – For exfoliation, mix 2 cups of Epsom salt with 1/4 cup petroleum jelly and a few drops of lavender essential oil. Gently massage in dry patches for smoother skin.
11. Epsom salt for mosquito bites – Epsom salt can alleviate the symptoms of mosquito bites. Make a compress by soaking a washcloth in cold water that has been mixed with Epsom salt (2 tablespoons per cup of water), then gently apply to the the bite. This is yet another of my favorite uses of Epsom salt.
12. Sore muscles and arthritis – If your muscles or joints hurt, an Epsom salt bath is a great way to find relief. Add 2 cups of Epsom salt to your very hot bath water, swirl the water with your hands to dissolve it, and allow it to soak for 15 minutes.
13. Tile cleaner – Mix equal parts of dish soap and Epsom salt for a super easy and effective tile cleaner. Rinse with clear water. It is one of the most economical uses of Epsom salt, a great way to save on cleaning supplies and use a natural alternative to harsh chemical cleaners!
14. Bedtime bath for children – Add a cup of Epsom salt to your children's evening bath to help them sleep more peacefully.
15. Relief of headache – Evidence shows that soaking in an Epsom salt bath can relieve headache symptoms.
16. Acne – Epsom salt has antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties, making it a fantastic natural treatment for acne.
17. Eliminates odor from hands and feet – Add 3 tablespoons of Epsom salt to 1 liter of lukewarm water and soak your hands or feet for 15 minutes. This will make your skin soft, your nails shiny and will also help eliminate bad odors.
18. Relieving constipation – Pour 8 oz. drinking water in a glass, mix with 1 to 2 tsp. Epsom salt and drink the mixture for immediate relief from constipation. Mixing instructions can also be found on most Epsom salt packages, consult your doctor before trying.
19. Epsom salt for sunburn – Dissolve two tablespoons of Epsom salt in 1 cup of water and spray on minor sunburns.
20. Attract infection – For simple infections on the hands or feet, soak in a warm bath of Epsom salt for 10 minutes to help cleanse the area. Note that some staph infections are made worse by soaking in warm water, consult your doctor.
21. The remedy for colds – Did you know that Epsom salt baths can speed healing by detoxifying your body and increasing your white blood cell count? Try an Epsom salt bath the next time you experience these early symptoms of a cold.
22. Epsom salt to reduce swelling – Epsom salt baths can help with bruising and reduce swelling.
23. Limit slugs – Sprinkle a trail of Epsom salt around the area where you want to be free from slugs.
24. Elimination of blackheads – Mix a teaspoon of Epsom salt, 3 drops of iodine and half a cup of boiling water. Dab this solution on your blackheads with a cotton ball to help extract them naturally.
25. Insecticide – Mix Epson salt with water, add to a spray bottle and spray on plants to naturally deter insects.
Wow, that’s quite a list! For even more information on the benefits of the wonderful Epsom salt, visit the Epsom Salt Council website.
RELATED: Discover the incredible benefits of celery juice and this useful turmeric gold paste recipe.
Epsom salt bath product
I really recommend this bag of Epsom salt that you can buy on Amazon. I always buy Epsom salt from Dr Teal.
What is your favorite use of Epsom salt?