Me, I’m a traditionalist allllll the way. I tend to make the same things every year, partly because I have my recipes and all the timing down to a T and everyone requests specific things. I have been cooking Thanksgiving for 25+ people for the last 13+ years. Now this year I am a little bit sad because if you remember, we sold our house and are temporarily in an apartment while we build our new home. So, I have ZERO room for people. That means I can’t cook this year and honestly it makes me VERY VERY sad.
Since I can’t make my Thanksgiving spread, I am going to share my stuffing recipe with you.
Stuffing is a touchy subject. People have their specific stuffing they make. I posted the question on my Facebook Page and got lots of answers like Pork Sausage Stuffing, Turkey Stuffing, Stuffing with fruit and nuts, Cajun, Cornbread and many others. Feel free to share your favorite in the comment section.
For me, again I am a Traditionalist. I have been making my stuffing the same way for years and years, basically the same way my Mom did….lots of fresh herbs, onion, celery and LOTS of real butter.
I have always dried my own bread from fresh bread and then cut into cubes for my stuffing. However, Pepperidge Farm has come out with UNSEASONED Cubed Stuffing. Hooray! One less step for me. No more drying my own bread. And another thing I love about their Unseasoned Cubed Stuffing is it is made with toasted white and wheat breads.
Below you will find step by step photos on how to make my stuffing. It’s Easy Peasy!!
- 1 14oz. Package Pepperidge Farm Unseasoned Stuffing
- 12 tablespoons Butter, divided
- 2 large Celery Stalks, finely diced
- 1 large Red Onion, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Parsley, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Sage, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Marjoram, finely minced
- 1 clove Fresh Garlic, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon Coarse Kosher Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Eggs
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter a 9 x 9 pan.
- Place the Pepperidge Farm Unseasoned Cubed Stuffing in a large bowl. Set Aside
- In a large skillet over medium heat melt 4 tablespoons butter, add celery and onion, cook for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Add parsley, thyme, sage, marjoram and garlic, cook for an additional minute.
- Pour the herb mixture over the cubed stuffing; mix to incorporate.
- Measure the chicken stock into a 4 cup measuring cup or bowl. Mix the eggs into the chicken stock; pour over the stuffing. Combine very well.
- Place stuffing in prepared pan.
- Melt the remaining 8 tablespoons butter; pour evenly over stuffing.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minute